Wednesday 16 April 2008

Peter and Jane

Many people learned to read from Ladybird books, following the Peter and Jane stories. It's nice to know they haven't bothered changing a thing, apart from the price, £0.40p in 1970s and £2.50 in 2008!

I bought the first 2 boxsets for my eldest, so we have a larger range of books he can read at home. He's doing really well, imo, hopefully he'll become a voracious reader!
My primary school teacher, when I was 4 didn't bother to teach the class to read, so my dad had to do it, my mum got busy finding me a better school to go to. So he used this series of books to get me there, apparently I loved getting to the next number.
Once I could read there was no stopping me. I read anywhere and everywhere, whilst walking, when I should have been sleeping, in the car, on the sofa, anywhere. When I was 6 (at a new school) I had an official reading age of a 12 year old. I was very very proud of myself. So thanks to my dad and ladybird I am literate!!

No comments: