Friday 8 January 2010

Chic & Simple Sewing Book Review



I also got Chic & Simple Sewing by Christine Haynes. This is a beginner's book, but with really lovely designs, and therefore any sewer might wish for it. It comes with full size tissue patterns (goes from a UK size 6/8 up to a 12/14). There's no over lapping of different designs on the pattern sheets either, making it very easy to use.



I adore this back to school dress, and know I shall be making it very soon. It speaks to my aesthetic, casual, slightly quirky, has a charm to it. I nearly bought a plaid fabric in John Lewis the other day, but I wasn't 100% on it, so left it at the shop!


How elegant does this look. That fabric looks great in the wrap skirt. This wrap skirt looks better than the one in the Heather Ross Book, which I did make. I will be giving it a go too.



This is a sweet dress, one I might attempt in the summer. It just looks the thing for a hot summer's day in a cool fabric. I also like the dress on the front cover, but I do have concerns over the lack of darts, and it looking to gapey and big around my chest area.


I like this dress, but think it would suit a smaller busted person, than myself.



This is a nice baby doll top, which I think I will give a go. I like the casualness of it, but it's smarter and more flattering than a t-shirt, I think.

Here is my version of the A-line skirt from the book. It all went together nicely. I added pockets as I felt my brown cord fabric a little dull. It does have an elasticated waist, but I can live with that, as it was so quick and easy to do. No pfaffing with buttons or zips for once!
As a starter pattern book I think this is great. There are many patterns I will make, so it is great value for money. I think on some of the dresses I will do a toile (for the first time ever!) so I can work out if I need to add darts etc. But that is all part of learning, isn't it?
BTW there is the obligatory Flickr group for it as well!!!

No comments: